- Problems of the fishing and aquaculture industries;
- Encourage seafood production, provide employment and stimulate the economy of California;
- Protection, restoration and enhancement of fishery resources;
- Protection of California seafood consumers;
- Collection of valid and reliable data on the fishing and aquacultutre industries;
- Resolution of conflicts concerning the fishing and aquaculture industries; and
- Oversight of executive branch activities concerning the fishing and aquaculture industries.
This Committee has made numerous legislative fisheries and aquaculture recommendations resulting in enactment of many laws but does not have any law enforcement powers.